Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

L' Porto-bello(s)

After much thought, I’ve decided to name my hamsters PORTO(male) and BELLO(female)!



The names sound just, well,  fat.

Inspired from PORTOBELLO Shrooms.

Fell in love eating these mushrooms.

Succulent and delectable. Ahh…




They are actually mature crimini shrooms and though there are a few sources which claimed how/where the name originated from, I found this most reliable:
The portobello in Northern Italy is called "cappellone" which means "big hat"


Aside from these.


Just yesterday, I happily bought 4 large portobellos to the mister’s house and threw them to him to grill.

Alvin darLIN cooked 2 fer me and they turned out smelling purfect, looking the most delicious, and tasted wonderlessly wonderful with a light sprinkle of salt on the caps.


But as I continue to dig into it, blacker than usual juice oozed out.
Hmm.

I didn’t dare eat the second shroom.

Pretending to be kind, I offered the mister the second shroom.
(if there weren’t the odd stuff, it would have been long gone down my esophagus and into my stomach.
HAHAHAHA)


As he was eating,..

‘Did you wash the mushrooms?’



‘Yes I did, I rinsed it under running water’



‘HUH! Just like that?!’
Horrified.

‘Ya, why?’

‘Ya, if I die it is your fault.’

He looked worried but continued to slice his shroom asking me why.

I haven’t got the chance to explain my mum soak them and brush the gills when I heard a gritting sound coming out from his mouth as he munched into his second helping.

‘Hey, how come there’s a gritting sound!’



His eyes grew bigger.

‘As in, when you eat mushrooms, there shouldn’t have any gritting sound!’


(More so when it’s plain shrooms!!)

After a short and worried pause, the mister swallowed it, hard, before managing a meek ‘huh.’

‘Okay, I think it’s a c-a-t-e-r-p-i-l-l-a-r.’
(Honestly, I don’t think caterpillars feed on mushroom, was just scaring him)

He dropped the plate and was feeling the ultimate siansationess all around him now, especially in his mid region.

I pitied him.
‘Okay, maybe, it’s soil leh?’


‘Huhhhhh……. I don’t want to eat already.’
And he dumped my 1/8th eaten portobello away.


‘Haiya, if you die from this I’d die long ago. I ate a WHOLE mushroom ok.’
Realising what I'd just said, I quickly added on,
‘OKOK! I SAY GRACE NOW. Lord please sanctify the food that we’ve eaten!’ and patted on my tummy.

Gee. Better be late than never, right or left?


Later that night while watching Champions League Final (my first ever soccer league match, other than World Cup) with a bunch of our friends, he complained of queasy stomach.

Hallucinating.
*Rolls eyes*



P.S.:
Man U won. It was a nice match but *Yawns*
And I thought ‘Glory Glory Man United’ sounded eggxactly like Little Peter Rabbit had a Fly Upon his nose’ nursery song.

No comments: